Friday, December 11, 2009

As I was doing my laundry...

As I was doing my laundry, the urge to gently tap the keypad in the process of creating a new post for my blog suddenly came upon me. I obliged but could not think of any topic in particular to write about. I thought about writing a sort of review of the movie “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” starring Audrey Hepburn and the guy from the A-team, which I watched last night on my laptop (the DVD player went kaput). I started to organize my thoughts but suddenly realized I didn’t have any, only the memory of how hot Ms. Hepburn was in that film. So no, that’s not happening, folks.

*****

Finally, I said goodbye to the recliner. I called in a favor with Joenard to help me lug the darn thing to my parent’s house. You should have seen the look on my dad’s face, it was as if Christmas came early and he believed in Santa all over again (come to think of it, I really have no idea if he had ever believed in a Santa growing up), he couldn’t wait to rearrange the living room to accommodate his new toy. Knock yourself out, John.

It was kinda sad to see it go. Though it did occupy quite a large space in my pad, it was the perfect throne for weekends watching television while gulping down a cold one. But a promise is a promise, and I’ve long ago promised my dad that I was going to give it to him as a gift… truth be told, he did kind of force it. But that’s alright, he needs it more than I do anyway. Every time I go visit their house, he would always be watching television while napping… and the old chair that he has isn’t even half as comfortable as the recliner. Other people get rocking chairs, my dad dreams of a recliner.

*****

Christmas is just around the corner, and the traffic jams have started piling up on each and every street corner that I drive myself into. People seem to scurry around to this and that Christmas party or sale or whatever it is they go to this time of the year. Then this weekend comes when most companies will be handing out the bonuses, so I expect the traffic situation to only worsen as the days leading to the holidays draw near.

So what do I have planned for the holidays? Well, that’s still a work in progress. I could join my friends for the new year in Palawan, but no, I don’t think I will. There’s Corregidor Island, that tadpole shaped hunk of rock right smack at the entrance of Manila Bay, but I’m still too lazy to do research on it. More than likely, I’ll be at home, doing nothing, except maybe catch up on reading and watching television. I don’t even think I’d be doing much writing during that time. Jogging, yeah, that would be possible too, I guess. And there’s always beer…

*****

This and last week, I’ve found myself in malls, scouring the appliance section always on the lookout for that micro-component that I’ve been pining for in the last 2 years. So far, my cheapness has managed to keep the plastic in my wallet, also contributing to my continuing misery at not having one at home. Besides this, there are a ton of items on my wishlist that I’ve been eyeing, shot down by my miserly ways.

Well, I can’t complain that much. I am still neck deep in credit so I may need to hold back on making future purchases, anyway. So far, I’m surviving with the stuff that I have now, plus I’ve got myself a new toy in my new coffee-maker that should provide me with enough interest to last me another 6 months. After that, I believe I’m qualified to get a new phone from Globe, so the cycle should continue until exactly next year.

Thus, with all that being said (well, written), my Christmas gift for myself will be a cheap brown pair of shoes! Yes, the omission of the words “brand new” is intended, I will have my old pair sent to the shoe repair guys and have them replace the soles. The thought of replacing them when they could still be salvaged is sacrilegious for me, years of training from my parents. Yes, they’re cheap, too.

Do note, however, that I still do appreciate expensive gifts from friends. So if you wish to buy me, say, a micro-component, go right ahead, master!

No comments: