Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Fore!

I've got more or less 15 minutes before bedtime, so I thought I'd do something utterly useless like getting a new post in while I still remember my password. Here it goes...

*****

I've just finished watching 4 stages of Initial D, the anime series. Must say, pretty interesting. It has not only allowed me to forget eating past 6pm (My new diet plan, not eating after 6pm) but has somehow given me new perspective on how I see my driving. Apparently, there are lots of things you can do with your car aside from just getting from point A to B. Unfortunately, I realize that I can't do most of those things because A) I thing most of it is illegal on the streets of Manila, B) I've got such an underpowered car, and C) Well, the simple reason that I'm a pussy.

Now that I've settled that, good thing I've finished the series and will now get back to a couple of more urgent things, like my good old laundry.

*****

Last night while on the way home, I got reminded about how terrible the traffic was along EDSA. As a consequence, I found myself snoozing at a gas station this evening whiling away the time (and traffic). A good solid couple of hours left me rejuvenated and alert, after which I remembered I hadn't eaten dinner and was doomed to stand by my after-6pm diet plan without the benefit of the usual 5:30 pig-out. Crap. So I went into the convenience store and had myself a cup of coffee. So far so good, until I got home.

Tummy grumbling, I instinctively reached for the refrigerator door and found an apple perched atop one of the shelves. I hesitated for 2 seconds, then grabbed the sucker and a sharp knife. So much for the diet, but at least I got myself eating something healthy, so healthy that I couldn't resist smoking a couple of sticks of cigarettes right after, plus my second cup of coffee for the night.

*****

Across our apartment, there's a little toddler who is living in a different time zone. His parents seem to be working the evening shift, so when they get home past 10pm, they wake the tyke up to play with. Feels kind of unnatural to me.

Back in the day, when 3 work shifts were unheard of, every kid had to sleep at 8 or 9pm on the dot. Staying up to 10pm was unthinkable, and pretending to sleep so that mom and dad won't hit you with their insanely heavy slippers was a very common habit. So it just feels very odd that at this midnight hour, I could hear Dora the Explorer's voice. I'm very tempted to get over there, knock on their door and hit the kid with my sandals until he's unconscious. Hmm, maybe a better idea is to take my 9-iron and beat the parents senseless. You have no idea how irritating it is to hear nursery rhymes when you're trying to get some sleep.

Oh crap, now they've changed the disc and I'm hearing a choo-choo train calling all-aboard. Excuse me while I put on my golfing gloves...

1 comment:

Walking on Water said...

after 6 diet would work if you have nothing else to do after 6 but sleep.
it's great to read from you again hap.