Monday, December 6, 2010

Maybe I can put it off for 5 more minutes...

Whoa... it's December already? I still can't get over how this month just all of a sudden crept up on me. Well, guess I should accept this peculiar fact, and learn to live with it.

*****

Took a jog around my old alma mater tonight, a ritual I had forsaken too many times, of late. I really should pay more attention to my weight, what with the holidays just around the corner. The last thing I need is to explode into a ball of lard by New Year's and start off 2011 with another battle of the bulge.

I started off pretty ambitiously, promising myself 5 laps around the 2.2 kilometer academic oval. Then, reality set in, heavily on my ankles. This wasn't a good sign. I resigned myself to only 3 laps, of brisk walking. I figure I need to lose 10 pounds before I start doing any actual jogging. Could I shave it off in a week? Hmm, that shouldn't be too difficult, seeing that I'm pretty much out of cash. No more fastfood breakfast and lunches from now on, I guess.

*****

Obviously, I haven't been writing much lately. Am I too busy? In a way, yeah. I'm too busy sitting on my ass, doing nothing.

But wait, can't I sit on my ass while writing? Yeah, writing stuff does usually imply that I'm sitting down, I'll admit. But I can't write and do nothing both at the same time, can I? No, if there's one thing that nobody can do while doing something, anything, it's doing nothing. The only one thing that you can't multi-task, I guess.

So why am I doing a lot of nothing, lately? Well for starters, traffic has been getting to me. On more than one occasion, I've been stuck over 3 hours in it. This isn't good for my sanity. As such, these days I choose to do nothing while I wait for the usual rush hour traffic to subside to more bearable levels. So far, it's working. I'm still sane, though a lot lazier. And I've been getting better at being lazy that it's been affecting my work and, to some extent, my social life.

*****

Have I told you that as I'm writing this, I'm procrastinating on doing a powerpoint presentation? In a few hours, I've got this big deal meeting with a potential client who flew in all the way from the States to make the rounds with potential partners. Guess how many slides I've finished... nada. My boss is gonna love me, for sure.

Don't worry, I've no intention of being fired later. As soon as I'm finished with this senseless monologue of mine, I'm seriously going to get started. Let's see, a 15 minute presentation should amount to something like 10 slides or so... yeah, I think I'll have enough time, if I don't sleep tonight, that is. If I want to make a really good presentation with all the animation and research and pictures, I'd need a couple of days or so. But since my goal is to simply do enough not to get fired, it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.

Ironically enough, I suggested we prepare this presentation, just to make things more fun for our guests. How was I to know that I would be tasked in making one? Obviously, I hadn't thought my suggestion through, which is really the story of my life. If you need ideas that are half thought-out and borderline whimsical, I'm the guy to turn to. It's a wonder how my mental vomit is suddenly picked up as a productive thought.

*****

Well, I guess I've really got to make that presentation. Let me just take in a "5-minute" nap... zzz.

No comments: