Sunday, January 18, 2009

And So I Did My Laundry

I couldn’t sleep. I’ve been trying for the past 2 hours but slumber has so far eluded me. I’m supposed to wake up in less than 3 hours and then drive 2 hours to Batangas and run/jog/walk 10 kilometers up and down a hilly terrain, so you could imagine how badly I need to sleep.

Maybe it’s a result of having slept through until lunch. But that was only a 5 hour nap so I should’ve been running on empty a few hours ago. And to think that I chugged 4 bottles of beer and 2 shots of brandy just this evening. I’ve even read a few pages of the books that I have just bought to no avail. Paging Mr. Sandman?

So after much frustration, I got up and opened my laptop. Figured that writing myself to sleep is worth a try. So let’s see if this works. And in the spirit of multi-tasking, you guessed it, I’m also doing my laundry.

Hmm, what to say what to say what to say? Shall I attempt poetry? Ahem…

At such ungodly hours I find

Myself thinking about nothing.

As nothing begets another in mind,

Unthoughts seemingly indeed unfascinating

What a load of crap. Though pretty boring, still did not even slightly move me closer to drowsiness. Oh well…

*****

My dad, who I call by his first name, dropped by this afternon. No reason really, just wanted to have a little chat. It felt really weird that as the years go by he seems to get smaller and smaller. You see, in my childhood, he was a figure that was larger than life. Now that I’m all grown up and a little wiser, that image seems to fade as I discover the mortality of his person. Quite natural, I’ll bet, but it is a little sad that “super-dad” is slowly looking more and more like a real person. But granted that he is getting smaller, what he has been able to do is more than what I think I ever will in my lifetime.

*****

For the past few weeks, I have been pining for a new home theater system. Nothing fancy, but it will still carve out a huge dent in my non-existent savings. So to be able to afford it, I have been stressing my ass off performing certain services for money. No, not whoring! (if only I were so lucky!) Can’t say actually but don’t worry, nothing illegal.

Anyway, the stress that I have been putting myself under is causing me to twitch every so often just recently. I did not know that stress was the most likely cause until Nolan told me. That information gave irony to what I was doing. The means to buy something that would take my stress away was actually causing stress? Damn.

*****

Last night, I was talking to Ethel over the phone. I realize now that I was a bit too drunk for the duration of that call as I seem to remember bits of what my mouth involuntarily spewed out. Quite embarassing, really. So for the rest of the day, I have had this sneaking suspicion that despite the freezing temperatures in Illinois, Ethel is laughing her ass off at my expense.

3 comments:

etlyanna said...

hahaha... :D

Unknown said...

methinks i'm getting old for this all night drinking. it took me the whole day of yesterday to recover from friday nyte. really bad hangover from wine and beer.

Chipper said...

methinks it's the lack of practice. hehe.