Sunday, April 4, 2010

Hair talk

I'm forgetting to get that long overdue haircut again. It's still early, the barbershop's still open. I bet my barber is just sitting there, watching television with his feet up, regarding the current movie showing on HBO. It might be a comedy, or an action flick for all I know. That could only mean that he's not thinking about me as much as I am thinking about him at this very moment. And all this time, I thought we had a real relationship. Isn't that tragic?

Regardless of my non-significance to that drone of a barber that I have, I've never really been fond of getting my hair cut. To me, it's such a chore that I would only too gladly pass up for the chance to watch a re-run of "The Wonder Years" on television. Is it because I'm just not vain about the appearance of my head of hair? Or perhaps a past trauma involving scissors and razors? To the best of my knowledge, it's just plain laziness on my part.

*****

I guess I should be thankful that at my age, I've still a full head of hair to be able to cut and style in the first place. Not caring about proper grooming might be construed by the hair-gods as a sign that I'm taking it for granted and thus, I don't deserve it. They might just as easily replace it with a thinning, graying mess of rice-noodles, would this make me care more about the top of my head? Most probably yes.

To make up for my laziness to visit the barber, I buy my own fair share of hair products. Shampoos, conditioners, hair wax and a soft comb. In rare instances, I even treat it with a dose of Vaseline hair tonic or baby oil. It keeps it healthy, but it sure as hell doesn't make it shorter and neater.

*****

I remember a time when haircuts were required. In grade school, teachers went ballistic whenever hair either went beyond the shirt collar, ears or eyebrows. CAT and ROTC were a joy as well, requiring a specific uniform cut of hair to demonstrate unity within the troops. Then there's mommy, who would resort to all measures to get me to go to the barber, even cutting off a significant portion of hair to compel me to have the barber go fix it to more presentable proportions. The neat, newly-cut look didn't bother me at all, just having to get it.

Thankfully, none of this grooming crap is an issue at the office. I could come in wearing a baseball cap or a mohawk and the big boss wouldn't even take a second look. He himself has been subject of chuckles at the water dispenser, with a slowly growing bald spot being hidden by combing up his sideburns. But as of late, everyone's been noticing his new mullet, wondering if this is a fashion statement or if he's growing it long enough to comb up and hide more of his balding pate. Doesn't bother me at all, each man has the right to how he wants his hair (or lack thereof) to look, even if he does look really ridiculous with it.

*****

One thing fascinating about hair, is that it's always growing, irritatingly continuously growing. You act to change it, by cutting it to lengths we've grown accustomed to or comfortable with. If left on its own, hibernating just as Rip Van Winkle did, you'd wake up to an unrecognizable sight. Even dead people are known to keep their hair growing, I think. I'm sure I've read this somewhere.

So by making excuses not to get a haircut as often as I should, am I letting things go through their natural course? Is this some subconscious way of expressing my willingness to let things develop as they would without intervention?

Nah... I'm just that lazy.

No comments: