Saturday, April 3, 2010

Home Improvement Day

Rearranged stuff in the house the whole day. Just felt like I needed a change, something new to come home to. The monotony of my current state of existence has been stressing me out of late, and this is the cheapest and easiest way I could think of to remedy the situation.

It's a really energizing and liberating experience, mind you. Sorting out stuff according to their personal value, and putting them in their proper places. Of course, those that don't really matter or have outlived their use gets thrown away, so you're left with only those that you still feel a connection to or use for. After the whole exercise, you look back and rekindle cherished memories and make room for new ones.

*****

I was going for a minimalist arrangement, but according to the resident minimalism expert, the little sister, the end result wasn't minimalist at all. And I thought "bare" was minimal.

I am content with the result, however. The living room has been reduced to a pretty huge and almost empty space. I hadn't imagined that a 3x3 was actually this big. I was also able to divide my room into two sections, the sleeping area and the walk-in-closet-slash-reading-nook. It kinda got a little claustrophobic, but for such a small space I was able to make room for a lot of my stuff. I've also been able to finally install the cable inside the little sister's room, earning a decent kickback in the process, enough to buy a small shelf for the restroom where I can put magazines and the ashtray.

Now that I've got all this space, my mind automatically shifts to procurement mode, instinctively trying to fill in every nook and cranny with aspirational items that should fill in the void left by the clutter. This is a bad thing, I suppose. I hide away my extra cash just in case I run into the Home Depot or Anson's anytime in the near future.

*****

The desktop has been a nightmare. The clunky, space-consuming CRT monitor is an eyesore that distracts one's attention to it. I suggested buying an LCD monitor to little sister, she's all for it but not too keen on the idea on shelling out for it. The really absurd thing is, we don't even use the desktop except to download stuff off the internet. We both have laptops, and the wireless connection is pretty cool, only the fear of contracting trojan horses and other malware has kept us from using the laptops for downloads, hence the reactivation of the old obsolete desktop.

Was really tempted to take it down and consign it to the folk's house for "safekeeping", but thought against it, untill we get another computer, that is.

*****

Well, I've 4 shots of scotch in me already, and the words on the screen are blurring out. Guess I better get ready to use the "sleeping quarter" for the first time, I'll let you know how it goes in future posts, I suppose.

No comments: