Sunday, November 15, 2009

Blanket and Pillow Talk

Once upon a time, I had a favorite blanket. My little sister has her favorite pillow. So yesterday, during the long stretch of road from Baguio to Manila, I imagined up this debate between us about the merits of having such favorites.

First, we have to discuss the differences between a blanket and a pillow. A pillow, well a favorite pillow at least, is more a stuffed toy than anything. It serves little purpose except to provide you with something soft to cuddle with. A blanket, on the other hand, provides you with security and warmth but isn’t really of much substance to cuddle. So now we leave the floor open to the debate on which is the better buddy. Take your side now.

So have you taken sides yet? Here’s my fearless non-professional psychoanalysis: If you chose the pillow, you’re a girl. And if you chose the blanket, you’re a boy. Any violent reactions, so far? Let me expound…

Pillows are cuddle things. Thus, they’re selfish little objects which want nothing less than all your attention, and yet you give it to them. I bet you prop them up on the bed after you wake up and fluff them to look all cute and cuddly for the next time that you go to sleep. And you keep it warm by hugging it tight, not wanting it to feel cold. I bet you even sprinkle perfumed talcum powder on it so it smells oh so nice, and clothe it with the cutest pillowcases. Sounds pretty much like something a girl would do, doesn’t it?

And then there’s the blanket, something you put over yourself to keep you warm and cozy. It’s dense thread count keeping off most insects and even protecting you against the dank and humid morning dew. And yet despite everything that it gave you the whole time you were sleeping, you’d discard it as soon as you open your eyes and leave it be. Instead of pampering it with attention and care, you expect it to always be there to keep you feeling good. Now there’s something that boys would love.

Whichever item you choose, it doesn’t really matter much to me, by the way. I just had nothing better to think and write about. Though I am sticking to this theory simply because I chose a blanket as my “favorite thing”. And by the way, I still have that blanket, already retired, though. And my little sister still has her pillow.

1 comment:

Walking on Water said...

used to have a pillow too. but that's been discarded long ago already. now i want neither a blanket or a pillow. all i want is a bed. not even a bed. but the luxury of time to sleep.