Thursday, March 25, 2010

Drama Queen (You've been warned)

Finally found what that song was I was listening to one stupid night at Ascott...

Possession (Piano Version) - Sarah Mclachlan

*****

Half-awake, half asleep, fully drunk... I was in an unfamiliar suite. The beer on the table beside me already lukewarm. The unrefined taste on my lips reminds me, brings me back to this stark reality I'm living in. I light another cigarette, as raindrops glide down the window.

On the other side of the glass, city lights shone like little bulbs on a Christmas tree. The drops of rain as ether, the lights give everything a faint glow to them, emphasizing the drama. I close my eyes, as a woman's voice in a smooth alto sings a sad song on the radio. I fall asleep again just as her voice fades and the hammering of the piano intensifies.

The rain had stopped when I finally lifted my eyelids, and static wafted through the suite. I lifted the bottle of beer beside me, it was too light. I lit another cigarette as I stood and walked to get myself another bottle. The incandescent glow of the refrigerator's light blinds me momentarily, struggling to make out what there was in store. I grab another beer, and the loud ping of the crown dropping to the counter sounded so comforting with the pop and fizzle. I took a huge gulp, the cold numbed my mouth to the bitterness.

I spied the car keys on the mantle, Noel was still asleep in the room and it was a little past one o'clock. I could make it, I thought. The keys felt cold in my hand as I put them in my pocket. I counted how much money I still had, there was still enough left over to buy company. I closed the door behind me and went in the elevator.

*****

The place was almost empty tonight, the crowd usually came in on the weekends. The blaring music and bright lights were nauseating, making it almost impossible to focus on the stage. An aging, balding lady sits beside me, her lips moved but I barely made out a sound.

"What?"
"I said do you want company?"
"Maybe later, I just came to watch."
"Ok, just call me. I'm over there." She points to a small corner where waiters in white shirts and bow-ties converged. "Ask for Linda." I nod agreement and went back to the show.

It was the same song and dance as any other night. White bodies, slow rock songs and high heels. This stirred nothing in me so far. A few of the ladies were seated with a couple of men, the usual groping and holding and teasing. From this distance, the pale sliver of skin on their fingers were evident, and I looked at mine and there wasn't. Maybe if I hadn't waited too long.

The room goes dark again, and when it went back on a new face was on-stage. I almost dropped my bottle when for a second, I thought it was her. No, it wasn't. Suddenly I was aware of everything around me, trying to regain a sense of where I was. The girl on stage looked right at me, smiled, then looked away. She finished her routine, then went upstairs out of sight.

I scanned the corner of the room to look for Linda. I raised my hand to be noticed, and a waiter tapped her on the shoulder and pointed in my direction. She finished off her laugh with the waiters and went to me. "Yes sir?"
"What's her name? The girl who was just on-stage?"
"Irish? Wait, I'll let you meet her."
"Thank you."
It took a couple of minutes for Irish to re-emerge, dragged by Linda through empty tables and chairs. She propped down on the vacant seat beside me and flicked her hair to get a better look at me.
"Irish, you take care of him, yeah?"
"Yes, Mommy Linda." Linda took a seat on the table behind us.
"Hi sir, what's your name?"
"Abel. Is Irish your real name?"
"Of course it is." She put her hand on mine, just as the waiter brought her drink.

*****

After Irish had a couple more drinks, we found ourselves alone, in a dark, cramped space, lit only by the lighted stage on the other side of the heavily tinted glass. I was apparently too drunk, good enough to only watch as Irish tried in vain to get things going.

"Stop it, it's no use." Spitefully she looked up at me, frustrated apparently.
"What's wrong with you?"
"A lot, I guess." I took another gulp of beer.
"Stop drinking! Look at you, you're a mess!"
"So what if I'm a mess? I'm paying you!"
"What do you think I am?!"
"What do you think I think you are?! You're working here, right?!"

She stood up, now looking down on me, and slapped my face hard. I looked up straight at her, stood up myself and moved closer to her.

"Want to hit me? Alright, hit me again!" Without flinching, she let her hand fly once more. I heard a ringing in my ear, and my face now warm and throbbing. "Another!" There was another, then a few more unprovoked. I caught her arm as she was about to hit me for the nth time, twisted it behind her back, and pushed her face down hard against the couch.

*****

"I'm sorry about your face." Irish said as she patted it with a wet towel.
"It's alright, it doesn't hurt too much." I started counting out a couple of bills from my wallet, and put them in her palm.
"That's too much."
"No, it's fine." She kissed me slowly on my reddened cheek, and wiped away the lipstick it left.
"Do you want my number?" She jotted it down on a receipt and gave it to me.
"Who's Susan?"
"That's my real name."
"I thought you were Irish?"
"Here, yes, outside I'm Susan." I folded the receipt and put it in my pocket. "I still think you're a mess."
"I'm a little better now, I think. Thanks." She accompanied me out of the room, and to the exit.
"Just send me a message. I'm not working on Sunday."
"I'll keep that in mind." Linda re-emerged with our waiter to see us off. I gave them each a tip and went outside.

*****

It was light when I got back to the suite. I took a shower and went to the refrigerator. There was only beer.

Noel entered the living room, newly wakened. "Beer this early? Alcoholic scum! And why is the friggin' sofa facing the friggin' window? Stop your friggin' drama, bitch!"
"Whatever."

*****

" ...And I would be the one,
to hold you down,
kiss you so hard.
I'll take your breath away,
and after I'd, wipe away the tears.
Just close your eyes, dear... "

No comments: