Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Morbidly Yummy Delights

I stopped watching "Idol", it's making me a bad person. It's been two weeks now, but the bad habits I picked up from it are still manifesting themselves.

Before that darn television show, I didn't really think much about music. The fact that I rarely turn on the car's radio and my lack of an mp3 player (well, unless you count my phone, that is) should indicate my lack of interest in it. But then came "Idol", and now each time I hear some song being sung, I instantly become critical of how it is sung instead of what he or she is singing. It's like judging a book by how glossy its pages are, or the font it is written with, rather than what it is trying to say. And in the rare instances when I feel like goofing off in traffic by singing some song playing in my head (tonight it's 'Secret Garden' by the Boss), I felt bad because I couldn't sing it "right". That kinda takes all the fun away.

*****

After the attack of the winged-ants last January to February, now the house is infested by flies. My little sister counted, and as of last night, there were 3 of them buzzing about. I blamed the 3 day old trash that was waiting to be thrown out, so little sister did the deed that same minute. But they still happily buzzed here and there to our anguish.

Finally, we decided to take matters into our own hands. A few months ago we had invested in a fly swatter to combat the winged-ants. Now, it has transformed into a real fly swatter... and thus the battle began. This morning it was 3-0, three for us and 0 for them. We're now bracing ourselves for the obvious retaliation, hopefully these buggers haven't bought their own people-swatters yet.

*****

Talking about flies... I recall a question in philosophy (or is it taxonomy or something?) that a friend suggested: If you clip the wings off a fly, do you call it a walk? Stupid I know, right up there with 'Do expired poisons become medicine?' and 'Do worms get eaten by worms when they die?'.

Sorry, been too stressed lately to make any sense. (or be the least bit amusing)

*****

I've been thinking up a list of foods that I love the most. Somehow, I had this thought that if I were to be on death row, what would I want to eat for my 'last meal'. If you really think about it, it is kinda hard to decide, that being your last memory of sustenance in this life. I already have enough trouble deciding what two side-dishes to get at Kenny Roger's, now I have to trim it to just one?

For me to at least have an inkling for when "that time" comes (hopefully it doesn't, must remember to ask for ID's), I'm making a top-ten list of my favorites. The only thing worse than not being able to decide what you want the most is knowing what you want then having the warden asking you to pick another because the guy before you took the last one, so I'm coming prepared:

10. A burrito, one hot cheesy bad boy bursting with all that sweet burrito goodness!

9. A Jollibee Champ. The one thing that I love about it is that it is impossible to eat without making a mess of your burger. Yum sarap, indeed!

8. The Baconator, the must-try Wendy's delight!

7. One bucket of original KFC chicken. Not the bucket meal, the one stuffed with and only with chicken.

6. Thin crust Shakey's Manager's Choice family size pizza. I can almost feel the piping hot mozzarella searing the top of my mouth.

5. Cebu Lechon. The fat and oil coating my teeth with all that foul cholesterol!

4. McDonald's Double Cheeseburger. The most "sensible" burger I've had so far.

3. Crispy Pata. The ultimate in deep-fried food!

2. Chicken Satay in Sambal and pandan cooked rice. Tasted the authentic recipe only once in my life... been looking for it ever since.

1. And last, Lumpiang Toge dipped in Sinamak. Funny how the healthiest of all the foods on this list lands at the top spot, isn't it?

2 comments:

Walking on Water said...

Trust not the physician. His antidotes are poison. - William Shakespeare

Ria said...

Your food list made me hungry. I miss lechon. I miss Jollibee Champ & chicken too.

As for the flies, I propose 2 solutions for you: 1) get a cat or 2) get an electric fly swatter/ bug zapper. It's like a mini tennis racket or badminton racket and is battery-powered. Search for it on amazon. We have one but haven't had the chance to use it yet. Once it gets warmer here though and the bugs start surfacing, we'll be ready.