Friday, December 12, 2008

A Parable

This is one those parables that time and again has reminded me of some of the most basic truths about people. I first heard it when I was in grade school during one of those daily morning messages of Fr. Capelli, and then years after, read it from one of Dr. Juan Flavier’s editorials back when he wrote for the Philippine Star. I’m pretty sure that one time or another each one of us or someone we know has felt like the turtle in this story.

The Parable of the Turtle and the Scorpion

One day after a storm, a turtle and a scorpion were stranded on the wrong side of the river. They were both on the way to the other side and though the river was no hurdle for the turtle, the scorpion could not swim and thus was unable to get across on his own.

The scorpion turned to the turtle and asked, “Since you can swim across and I can’t, could you probably let me ride on your back and let me off on the other side?”

The turtle gave it a thought and said, “I could swim across easily even with you on my back, but I’m afraid you might sting me and then I would freeze up and drown.”

“But why would I do such a thing? If I do sting you and you drown, then that would be the end of me as well. So there is no reason that I would do such a thing.”, said the scorpion.

The turtle thought about the situation a little more and then agreed to the cross-river piggyback ride. So they both walked to the edge of the river and the turtle lets the scorpion ride atop his shell. He started to swim across the river and as soon as they got midway across, right at the deep end of the river, he felt a short stab on his neck. Alas, despite the promise made by the scorpion, the turtle was betrayed and started to sink, the scorpion with him.

Before the turtle went under, he turned to the scorpion still on his back and asked, “Why did you do that?! You know very well that you would also drown along with me!”

The scorpion merely looked at the expiring turtle and with the most serious look on his face answered, “Because that’s my nature.”

No comments: