Thursday, May 28, 2009

Morning musings at the gas station

I just woke up from a nap at the gas station, finding that I've been asleep for the better part of 2 hours. A really good decision having stopped over here as I am now feeling refreshed and more confident about the drive home. And I have already put aside the fear of dying from carbon monoxide poisoning while the car's engine and A/C are on. (though I did crack open a window about an inch or so for good measure)

I decide to get coffee to complete my "morning" plus the half-pack of cigarettes that I usually get these days to control my "dosage". I have to tell you, getting these half-packs don't work when you get them twice a day. *sigh*

So why was I terribly sleepy this afternoon? I had a 9am meeting and to prepare I pored over a week's worth of reports from my staff and slept at 4am in the morning. Add to that the hour long journey plus an hour of morning ceremonies and that left me with little energy to sustain myself for a whole day's worth of work. This particular gas station is 13 kilometers away from the office, a 15 minute or so drive and throughout that stretch I had to turn up the radio so as not to fall asleep at the wheel. I just parked the car, made a makeshift pillow out of the passenger side headrest and dozed off. zzzzz

What woke me from my slumber was the bullhorn of a container truck that was passing by where I parked. It was 9pm by then and the truck ban had already been lifted. So that meant that the expressway had officially become a racetrack for these rolling behemoths, certainly not a place that I'd love to share my morning drive at. Anybody who's experienced being sandwiched between two trucks racing to the finish line will tell you that instant claustrophobia does exist. Which is why I am stuck here for another hour at least just to give these monsters a head start. Well at least the coffee's good and there's free wifi. A pleasant good morning to you all!

No comments: