Sunday, May 10, 2009

On the dangers of potholes

Was in a fairly good mood all day and decided to take a jog at UP. Got all my stuff ready and headed out just as the afternoon sun was about to sink lower into the horizon. About 2 kilometers into my drive, I suddenly saw this gigantic pothole directly in my path. Evasive maneuvers and hard braking didn't do much as I was shocked with the terrible thud that rocked the whole car. I almost cried...

I got to UP safely and unremarkably after that, but when I finally got out of the car to check on my tires, behold my rim looked like a tin can that was thrown on the pavement by a three year old. A wonder really how my tires managed to stay inflated after that but it was scary to think that I'd have to drive back home with 'that'!

All things considered, I believe that I am a fairly cautious driver and having fallen victim to this pothole suggests that a lot of other people must also have gone through the same experience. It's one thing that such a dangerous pothole can be seen on secondary and side streets, but this being EDSA, I think this problem should be addressed ASAP.

Well of course I didn't report it to the authorities. First of all, how do you? It's a Sunday and I don't think the DPWH (Dept of Public Works and Highways) is open. Second, I will never, ever talk to an MMDA or any other traffic enforcer unless they apprehend me. It's like trying to feed a rabid dog, I might even be accused of having created said pothole and be given a ticket or worse, thrown in jail. Maybe if they put a suggestion box somewhere along EDSA I might have the courage to drop a note.

So now with that damage to my rim, work is affected, public safety (never mind my own) is compromised and my ride doesn't look cool anymore! hahaha! Anyway, for those of you driving, try not to use EDSA. I know I won't.

1 comment:

Ria said...

sorry to hear about your car. Darn potholes! Thanks for leaving a comment on my recent post too. And thanks for sharing my blog with your sister. Is she in the US or in the Philippines?