Monday, May 17, 2010

The weekend in reverse

Tonight I laced up for an early evening jog around the old alma mater, as suggested by my friend with a metal ankle. He picked me up at home without warning, which was great considering that if he had told me he was picking me up, I would have had a number of excuses handy to skip it. This was the first time in months that I'd be going out for a jog, so I said my prayers and readied myself for the impending heart attack.

The result of the entire effort proved my earlier suspicion that I was way out of shape. I was gasping for breath in the final stretch that I stopped and walked just as I saw the 2.2 kilometer mark a few meters away, a pathetic 17'51" as I crossed the finish-slash-pedestrian lane. I was almost 3 minutes above my last time, don't even ask about the succeeding lap.

Though it was a miserable run, I had a lot of fun and my sweat-drenched shirt was a sort of trophy that I smile upon. This was the start of getting back into form, as well as penance for all the iced teas and carbohydrates I've been devouring as of late. The aching sensation in my hamstring and calves tells me I did good tonight, and now I'm thinking of doing this during the weekdays a lot more often. Wish me a heck of a lot of luck, people!

*****

It was a very late night, the clock just about to announce midnight, when a buddy of mine called about getting some coffee. Being so easy and cheap, I agreed and picked him up 15 minutes later, not even sure where a cafe was still open. Well, we drove around for a while until we stumbled across one, which was closing in half an hour, but we still went in and got our coffee fixes anyway. As we sat across each other, we realized how strange it was that two men were sipping caffeinated beverages when at the back of our minds, it was really an ice-cold beer that we had to have.

We left even before my coffee warmed down.

The funny thing was, this buddy of mine wasn't supposed to be drinking, and yet we were. His doctor had advised against alcohol, some sort of problem with his liver becoming fat, which he told even before we went for coffee. This fact of knowing about it left me a bit guilty, sure he was old enough to know the difference between right and wrong, but I was dumb enough to push him over and order a beer. My bad, but the beer was all good for sure.

*****

I had a dream the night before, which was so eerily life-like that I remember every bit of it until now. Strange that I do, usually I forget about whatever dream I have the first 2 minutes after waking up.

Anyway, the dream I had was about 2 hot young girls. I had just dropped off a buddy of mine at his house in some posh subdivision just after midnight when on the way back I spied these 2 hot girls, in their friday night best walking in high heels toward the village gate around a couple of kilometers away. Being a kind-hearted citizen, I stopped, opened my window and asked if they would like a ride to the gate. "Are you sure it's alright?" they asked, my heart went out to them, naturally, "Of course it's alright.". They hopped in.

"Thanks for the ride, my name's Hanika, her's Nicole."
"I'm The-luckiest-man-ever. Where are you guys headed to anyway?"
"Some-hot-chick-bar-that's-in-the-same-direction-to-where-you-live"
"Wow, I'm actually headed home and it's right in the same direction as where you're going. Do you want me to drop you off somewhere near-my-place?"
"Yeah, if it's alright with you."
"Don't worry, it is." (I wonder how my breath smells?)

small-talk-small-talk-small-talk-small-talk... (Is my hair ok?)

"So why were you guys walking this time of night anyway?"
"We couldn't call a cab from her place, we just sneaked out of her parent's house."
"Oh you naughty girls, the both of you!" (Oh you naughty girls, the both of you!!!)

small-talk-small-talk-small-talk-small-talk... (Oh you naughty girls, the both of you!)

"So what do you do?"
"Oh, were students."
"Oh you are? What are you studying?" (Please say pole-dancing, pretty please?)
"I'm in some-course-I-couldn't-care-less-about, Nicole's taking up another-course-I-couldn't-care-less-about-either."
"Ahh, in the same school?"
"Yep, at some-school-I-couldn't-care-less-about-too."
"That's cool. I went to this-school-that-I-hope-will-impress-the-crap-out-of-you-two."
"Wow!" (Worked like a charm!)

small-talk-small-talk-small-talk-small-talk... (I wonder if my sister's home?)

"Isn't it kinda late to be going out still?"
"Yeah, but we had to go to this other party earlier." (And the real party hasn't yet begun!)
"Really? What party was this?" (If she says pole-dancing party, I'll give up smoking for good!)
"Our friend's debut." (HUH? Debut means 22nd birthday, right?!)
"Your friend, meaning your neighbor or something?" (OH PLEASE SAY YES!)
"Our classmate back in high school." (Ok, you both took the 7th grade four times, right?)
"Oh, so you're how old again?" (Lord, give me this one and I'll sacrifice a whole pig for you, please?)
"I'm 18..." (Uh oh)
"... and she's 17." (Crap, I'm too pretty to go to jail!)
"Oh, is that so?" (Where are my legs?! I can't feel my legs!!!)
"So how old are you?"
"An-age-younger-than-33-but-still-a-lot-older-than-18." (C-R-A-P)

small-crappy-talk-small-crappy-talk-small-crappy-talk... (C-R-A-P)

"Well, this is the best I could do for you guys. There's a cab, do you want to see if that cab will take you to your party?"
"We'll be okay here. Thank you so much, guy-who-looks-like-he's-seen-a-ghost!"

At this point, they both shook my hand, which could only make matters worse, as I swear at their ages, they still had the cooties.

"Pleasure's all mine (until it wasn't), take care, guys!"
"Yes, we will, thanks again!" (You sorry S.O.B!)

If this wasn't a dream, then you could imagine how far worse I would feel.

No comments: