Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Getting my free lunch

I've made a bet with my boss, I realize this might not be the smartest move... ever, but well, it's already in place. Yes, it has to do with my career, but hey, people have to take risks to move forward. Sure there's this possibility that I'll fall flat on my face and lose the bet, rot in the office or maybe even get fired, but at least it's sort of a change.

Because I need to make some changes.

And it's not only in my career, everything seems to be at a standstill. It's getting boring and monotonous and idle and moot and darn boring all over again. Arrgh! I am sloth, and envy, and damn stubborn.

So maybe responsibility isn't my strong suit, stability not exactly a quality normally attributed to my person, and ingenuity a word outside my 1,000 word vocabulary, so why am I making a bet that I could be all of these with my boss no less? I have no idea, but I think these qualities are supposed to make a better person out of me, probably make me amount to 'something'. To make me believe that all those years of being drunk, spontaneous and clueless in college (and some years after) don't go to waste. (Oh, I was pretty wasted in college, wasn't I?)

What's the bet, you ask? Well, it's quite simple, by the end of the year, it's either I get promoted or get fired. Yep, pretty simple, isn't it? Either way, there's gonna be a lot of changes, for sure.

Now that the bet has been made, what's step 1? I have no idea. This is where the bet get's risky, because I can't think of anything that will save my ass for the next 6 months that I haven't tried in the past 2 years. And sadly, blogging about my predicament sure ain't gonna help me get anywhere near where I need to be, that's for sure. So I need to be all 3 traits I've mentioned earlier to at least get a shot at not being fired, all of which are so out of character for me. I've consulted my imaginary life-coach, and she (Yes, my imaginary life-coach is a woman, with big boobs) tells me that change always comes in oneself first. What a load of bull that is. She further adds that all aspects of my life are connected, so to better my career, I need to better my personal life as well, and get some 'structure', whatever that is. I would have ignored her, if not for her boobs.

Oh, and by coincidence, I've been holding myself to a deadline to resign from work by the first day of next year. Pretty neat, huh?

Well, lots of luck, and even more work for myself, I guess. Because there are no free lunches in life, unless you make it yourself.

1 comment:

Investor Juan said...

If you make it yourself, it ain't free anymore? Right?

Anyway, this is a good thing, dude. And I agree, you do need this shake up. So you have a little more than 6 months to work on that promotion. Because that is what this really just is: an opportunity to move up that corporate ladder. Nothing else.

Start applying for your passport dude, this makes Hong Kong in January a sure thing. :)