Monday, June 14, 2010

High treason

I'm feeling a little sentimental. Why? Was it because I watched the movie "Kick Ass" a few minutes ago? Or jogging in the rain a few hours ago? Maybe because I rearranged the furniture at home? Hmm... really I've no idea. Anyway, to celebrate this current mood of mine, I click on youtube.com and search for Jewel's "Foolish Games". Ahh... a brandy right about now would be super.

But of course I won't be drinking. I just about swore off alcohol on Sundays, as well as most of the week. Only Fridays and Saturdays are decreed as legal alcohol-drinking days. Yes, it kinda sucks, but it's the healthy choice. With my buddies felled one by one by the curse of a fat liver, the convenience of not having to undergo any medication is tantamount to my personal financial freedom.

So maybe that's it, I miss alcohol. I realize I have to move on, but how do you move on from something that has been there for you each significant moment, whether in sadness or joy? Sounds a bit like high treason if you ask me. Here I am, turning my back on the one thing that has always been there for me, asking not for much, but giving its all in return. I can only hide my face in shame.

No, it doesn't stop there. My weaknesses as a person has brought me to previously unheard of lows in my quest for a cheap fling to fill in for a beloved. While my alcoholic lover agonizes in a frustrating wait, here I am, whiling away my time with coffee. Yes, I am having an affair with coffee, that cheap slut of a beverage that does not even have the pedigree of having being carefully fermented in the perfect proportions for centuries by scientists, monks and priests alike. Even Jesus must have known this, else why would he have turned water into wine rather than water into coffee? (or tea for that matter)

So why coffee, of all the other possible concoctions and brews available? Well, because it's cheap, for one. And it's unbelievably easy, no frills, just "slam-bang-thank-you-ma'am", doing away with all the drama and the usual pre-requisites. It's always a done deal, and there's no 3-date (bottle) waiting period for you to have your way with it. Just a couple of sips and you get what you came for.

Yes, I do feel bad about it. But I am human after all, with needs, a whole lot of them. Who knows, in time I might realize how much of a mistake parting ways, albeit temporarily, with alcohol is. At the moment, though, I've made my bed with coffee and intend to sleep with it. (Or more likely, NOT sleep with it.)

No comments: