Saturday, June 19, 2010

Playing with fire

A friend gave me a lighter, a Zippo knock-off, same dimensions, same mechanism, same click-clack sound, and even the weight is pretty close. It's awesome! I woke up this morning and instantly fiddled with it, filled it up with lighter fluid and gave it a go. It friggin' works! Woohoo!

I think Zippo lighters are just bad-ass. It's the Harley-Davidson of lighters, masculine, shiny and noisy. No, they're not the most efficient, not exactly convenient to use and refill, and is a step back in terms of technological wonders. But there's this sense of nostalgia that comes with it, plus it looks cool, to boot. No wonder the bad guys we see in movies always seem to use one, must be why they get all the slutty chicks. I bet Chuck Norris has one.

So ok, mine isn't exactly a Zippo. It's a cheap knock-off, with the rust on the inside of the supposedly stainless steel case to prove it. When it finally conks out, when the screw on the underside of the chamber gives in to its eventual rusty demise, there may not be a chance to revive it, but who cares? It's free, and it's mine!

Prior to this new toy of mine, I've actually been contemplating on getting an actual Zippo for myself. Each time I'd pass by a Zippo store or one of those Lighter's Galore kiosks, I find myself gravitating towards the shiny, heavy stainless-steel ones, my nose and forehead smudging the glass viewing case in awe. There's also those matte finished ones, which are kinda nice to the touch. I'm pretty sure one could have their names or monograms or whatever symbol etched on either side of one, now that would just be so classy. Unfortunately, it costs an arm and a leg, even the really plain-looking ones, and given the lackluster state of my personal finances, an unwise purchase.

I'd probably have to mention that this isn't the first Zippo (or knock-off) that I've owned. In a previous life, two exes had given me one each. Too bad though that I had promptly returned both (I think) back after the break-ups. I've also had a cheap knock-off once or twice, but these were grossly inferior to the one I now have.

So the question becomes, does this new toy of mine satisfy my craving for the genuine article? Fortunately yes, for now. Up until the time, at least, when this faux version becomes kaput or I stumble upon a really really good bargain. Or perhaps I might altogether quit smoking and render the "need" for such an item moot. In the meantime, I'll be that irritating jackass making all that click-clack ruckus with his cheap knock-off Zippo.

No comments: