Monday, August 17, 2009

Bullshit happens

There's this thing called bullshit... it certainly isn't pretty. This I realized in all it's glory while hiking up some mountain in Batangas over the weekend. Yes, me the sloth went on a hike, and the trail certainly provided a lot of bullshit for me to sink into. When you're tired and thirsty and tired all over again, bullshit seems to be everywhere, and there is no getting around it, certainly not when the trail has narrowed down.

So I stomped on more than a couple of mounds of bullshit. My trail shoes, having crossed rivers, mud, rock and gravel, didn't stand a chance against the almost magnetic pull of the stuff. Dry, wet and moist bullshit, all the same I've stomped through it. No time to clear my shoes of the stinky stuff though, there was more bullshit to be had.

Well, come to think of it, I never expected the hike to be a walk in the park. I knew there would be a lot of pitfalls along the way, but the bullshit? that is certainly not something that I thought about encountering along the way. Snakes yes, thirst definitely, exhaustion of course, bullshit, now where did that come from? Obviously, bullshit comes from a bull. Hmm, a cow yes that too. For something that produces the juiciest hamburgers, their excrement certainly is filthy.

There's an expression that if God gives you lemons, make lemonade... so what the heck does one do with bullshit?

But wait, there's more! After the climb, there's the descent. And guess what awaits? More bullshit, of course! Fresher ones, made extra moist by the morning dew. And because of the forces of gravity at work, you let yourself fall, yes, fall more times on bullshit than you did going up.

So the moral of the story is, when you think you're about to embark on a challenging quest, always remind yourself that along the way, there's going to be a lot of bullshit. Bullshit happens.

No comments: