Thursday, August 13, 2009

Climbing up to hell

In true surf and turf fashion, I'm going from the seas of La Union last weekend to the mountains of Batangas this weekend. I've tagged along a mountaineering club and found myself packing my bag for a hike and camping 500 or so meters above sea level. Doesn't sound too imposing, I know, but given my lack of any endurance training whatsoever this past month, I'm quite sure I'm in for a very tiring couple of days.

Unlike hanging out at the beach resorts up north, this particular adventure is devoid of running water, electricity and a soft bed. It also means that I would probably the dumbest person alive should I decide to bring along my laptop to tap in some words while resting inside my tent. Not only does it weigh a ton... but with a battery life of just inside two hours, I don't foresee the next great novel coming. So time to sharpen a few pencils and learn how to write by hand again, I guess.

*****

In case you've been guessing, this is only the second time that I will climb a mountain. The first one was eons ago, and that really sapped the life out of me. And it wasn't even that challenging for the rest of the group, Archie for instance merely hopped around and found himself overlooking civilization. I on the other hand had to crawl, curse and sweat myself to the top. What was supposed to be a 2 hour trek lasted the entirety of the afternoon. Fond, fond memories, yes.

*****

Anyway, one thing that I am pretty confident about is that I am not lacking in the equipment department. Thanks to Jundel and Nolan's obsessive procurement of outdoor essentials, I am pretty sure that I'll live to tell the tale of my second climb. A tent above my head, light to keep me from stumbling all over myself in the dark, fire to cook whatever would pass for a meal, and pots and pans to cook with. I should be able to last at least 2 days before I get eaten alive by rabbits and sparrows.

If I remember correctly, though, all that stuff weighs a lot. And the fact that I'll have to carry them over my two pathetic shoulders, in a daring attempt to defy gravity poses a lot of doubts about my uncertain survival.

Happy thoughts, happy thought, I won't die this weekend.

*****

It's past ten and I find myself still at the gas station, enjoying the free internet connection. How pathetic a person must I be if I favor this to home? Back at home, I can already see the laundry, impatient in their wait to be cleansed. The plates and utensils in the sink, the dust overburdening the couch, television and basically everything that is sitting still inside the house. The only things that do get a lot of action at home is the food, in fact. And the toilet water, of course.

Unlike some people who dash to the nearest form of transportation to get themselves home physically, I prefer to take my time. Back in high school and college, I'd favor the bus that goes through all the long stops and trudges at a snail's pace. I just don't like rushing home, and then doing what? Being miserably engulfed in either boredom of hard labor. Where's the fun in that?

Ahh, but then again I remember a time when I couldn't wait to get home... another story, that is.

*****

It's August, usually the time when typhoons come raging by. And yet this afternoon I found myself not being able to bear more than 5 minutes outside the air conditioned confines of the office. This climate change thing sure is a bit of a hassle. Last week, I couldn't find an umbrella large enough to avoid being drenched. This week, it's my own sweat that I'm drenched in.

There's still hope, though. Forecasts have another "low-pressure" area slithering towards the nation's area of responsibility. Low pressure, pretty much the best adjective for my ego, it seems. Not much there to elicit any major shake up of my daily habits and expectations.

Now this is where it gets tricky... the rains are scheduled to fall right around the time when I'm supposed to be hiking for dear life. No, not when I'm just lazing around, playing scrabble at the gas station, it has to be right when I'm risking my life. Talk about selling the drama.

No comments: