Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Smoking in the Corridor

Stupid rule that I’ve made. For the past couple of months, I swore off smoking inside the house to avoid the smell of cigarettes filling up every room. It was also intended to control my notorious appetite for nicotine. The first few weeks it worked pretty well, but lately I’ve been finding myself setting up a chair just outside the door to my home and watching television while smoking a stick or two (or three). My neighbors have begun to notice this and are looking at me like a weirdo. Why would I smoke outside when there is no one else inside at home to be bugged by my cigarettes? To make matters worse, some have been giving me these “looks”, the kind that says “stop making the building smell like cigarettes!”.

So what now? Well, I haven’t really figured that out yet but I’m pretty sure that it doesn’t involve me quitting smoking. One option is to smoke from the small utility area at the back of my pad. But then I won’t be able to watch television with the current set up. I’d have to do a lot of moving and be at the mercy of the occasional cockroach that flies by overhead

*****

I’m planning a trip to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia next month. More of the ‘soul-searching’ crap that I usually enjoy (and sulk in). So far, it’s just an idea but I do need to scurry up all the details before I can think up an itinerary.

For one, there’s the matter of my so-far non-existent passport. I still haven’t been able to bring myself to get one, limiting my traveling to domestic destinations. Since this is an entirely new country, I’ve got to hustle to get one before I even think of booking a flight, I guess.

My lack of a passport isn’t really for lack of trying, I did make the effort in the past to line up for hours at the foreign affairs office. All that didn’t count as upon reaching the final window, they rejected my application because of one measly signature. No, it wasn’t even a whole signature, just an initial of the person who was supposed to certify my birth certificate. That meant I had to do everything all over again. Bummer.

*****

A few days ago, I just came back from the queen city of the south… Cebu. I’ve been there probably more than half a dozen times but it was mostly for work and haven’t had time to take in the sights. A by-product of laziness and having no one to take a tour with. Taking the trip alone doesn’t bother me, it’s the additional costs that come with it. Renting a boat for one is quite expensive, as well as getting a room for two when I’m all alone. That goes for taxicabs and meals as well.

This time though, I did manage to squeak in a little fun in my itinerary, and that meant playing poker at the local poker club. I know, I know, that doesn’t sound nearly as touristy as one might expect, but it did afford me some insights as well as a great way to unwind after a couple of days of hard work.

The downside is that I lost, but then losing a grand after 4 hours of solid play is not a total loss. It was my first time to play amidst strangers, and the ‘professional’ feel of it all is something that I will really look forward to in the future. It brought back the fun of the game, something that is lost with the usual home games that I play where poker takes a step back to all the chit-chat and loose talk that come with playing with buddies. Can’t wait to play there again next month…

*****

It’s am impromptu weekend, with a holiday being declared on the occasion of former President Aquino’s funeral. Can’t complain, I do need somewhat of a break from the hustle and bustle of work. It also creates a great opportunity to finish (and start) some of my projects.

First up, there’s the matter of my unfinished paint job at home. Then there’s setting up the curtains, getting an oil change, buying some pieces of hardwood for the bed I’m dreaming up and of course, my long overdue workout. Hmm, sounds like too much to do for one day, at least getting half of these things done will really be an achievement for my person.

*****

I (as you might have as well) noticed that I have been writing less and reading more. Lately there has not been too much effort on my part owing to my lack of internet connection and work. Two weekends ago it was a road trip to Baguio, last weekend my business trip to Cebu, this coming weekend another long road trip and the weekend after still another. Seems like such a busy schedule, I can’t imagine where I’ll be able to muster the money to support it all. Hopefully it will all fall into place, it always seems to in the past anyway, hopefully my luck doesn’t change yet.

*****

My favorite gasoline station has disappointed me tonight, there’s some trouble with the Wifi connection, I can’t seem to get online. I’m writing all this down on Word whereas I would’ve done it straight on the blogger while playing scrabble or stalking people on Facebook. It isn’t so bad, though, I did manage to put a lot of thoughts onto this post while cursing the Wifi connection. Hopefully it’s going to be an entirely different story on Thursday…

3 comments:

Ria said...

are you going to KL by yourself? Nice place. Haven't been there in over a decade though. Be sure you go to the Petronas Towers. My friends in KL say the bridge linking the two buildings is haunted.

Chipper said...

With a friend, next month if I finally get my passport. hehehe. Yikes, haunted? So that means I've more than my fear of heights to overcome?

Ria said...

i didn't know you were afraid of heights. But if the bridge was haunted, it's not like the ghost can push you off or anything. hehe.

Make sure you eat Nasi Lemak, satay, and all the other great food while you are there.