Thursday, August 6, 2009

Happy Birthday in September

Arrgh! I've been waiting 3 hours for a power outlet to be available and when it finally did, my computer goes bonkers and can't play my favorite scrabble game! This sucks...

*****

I made up an imaginary birthday for myself, September 31. I posted it in the office and people have been teasing me to treat them out on that day. Of course I said I would... they could mark it down on their calendars. Apparently, no one did, otherwise they would have come back at me for obvious reasons.

It started when I woke up and looked at my calendar at home, I forgot to flip the page to August, so I did and went off to do my morning rituals. As I was leaving for work, I looked back to the calendar and found that I had flipped it too far and September was staring right back at me. I realized that September didn't have a 31, and suddenly I thought why not make one. Just to make it more intriguing, why not set an imaginary birthday then?

With my birthday coming up next month, there's the weird feeling of anticipation hanging in the air. I keep thinking who'd remember and greet me? (Well, no one I guess but I pretend not to realize that) I decide that I should celebrate on that day, get myself a cool gift as well. I keep imagining how cool it is to celebrate my birthday without anyone knowing what day it was, it would be my little secret that no one knows about.

After lunch today, I kept on thinking about what gift I should get for myself. That stereo sure makes a cool gift, or should I get myself a pair of running shoes? Hmm, it falls on a "ber"-month, perhaps a water heater would be fitting? So hard to decide, so many things that I want... what should I get? And then there's the party... now how would I celebrate? Should it be a nice quiet evening with my closest friends? Or should I party like a rock star, get heavy with the alcohol and turn up those speakers? Wait, an out of town adventure would be great, wouldn't it?

Everything got ruined later that afternoon when my boss walked by, looked at my calendar, specifically the box marked "September 31: My Birthday!". "There's no 31 in September.", he says matter-of-factly. Hmm... no, kidding?

*****

Another reason that the end of September turned a switch in my head: 100 days of absolutely no alcohol happens to fall around that time. I'm excited all over again!

No comments: