Thursday, July 23, 2009

Letter from the credit card company

I marinated a whole slab of pork belly. That was 2 days ago. I wonder what it'll taste like. Probably would give me a mild (hopefully) dose of food poisoning. This is what usually happens when I marinade stuff and then don't make time to actually cook it. I should be home searing it and stuffing it in the oven, but I'm 30 kilometers from home still and by the looks of it, that piece of belly meat is going to sit still for a while, probably until the weekend.

But wait, am I not supposed to go up a mountain this weekend? Oh crap, this would probably mean that as soon as I get home I'll have to fry that sucker. It's a thick slab, probably take hours to cook through. So I'm looking at another late night. Why didn't I just get good old smoked bacon instead?

*****

I've been finding myself short of time recently. Not that I don't have time, it's just that I haven't been spending it more efficiently. All this thanks to a bout of flu coupled with a chronic laziness that is legendary. The obvious outcome is me rushing to do everything all at once and end up not finishing anything at all. Oh woe is me.

*****

Had a meeting this morning with both bosses. It went pretty well, this talent of mine for amplifying the most ho-hum of achievements is cutting me a lot of slack at the office. After the meeting, however I was grilled about something that I was totally unprepared for: my health (or recent lack of it)

Big Boss: You've been sort of sickly recently. Why is that? (I could've sworn he said 'sickening')
Hap: Been over-exerting myself, I guess.
Little Boss: Jogging?
Hap: Yes.
Little Boss: And you're still on that diet?
Hap: Yes.
Big Boss: You know, I used to jog regularly too.... blah blah blah.
Hap: Nod... nod... nod...
Little Boss: Have you seen a doctor about that diet of yours?
Hap: Uh, not really...
Big Boss: There's the problem! You're making up your own methods... (Which pretty much defines how I assess myself at work)
Little Boss: You should see a doctor before you go an a weight loss program.
Big Boss: Or even a dietician...

A lot of blah after, I was forced to admit that I was stupid and will make sure to see a doctor yesterday. Yeah, that'll happen.

As a Filipino male, I only go see the doctor when something is about to fall off. That's the only acceptable time to do so. Otherwise, there's nothing that a lot of water, google and television can't handle. Antibiotics? They're for sissies! Not me, of course. And if you must seek medication, only hard core meds will do! None of that mild stuff thrice a day. Unless it says industrial grade... don't bother prescribing it, doc.

*****

Got another credit card bill today and was sort of amused that they slipped in a letter. It basically said that they notice I haven't been using my card lately. They offer to give me not one, but two movie passes if I use my credit card five times in a month.

Number one, I haven't been using my credit card (one of them, anyway) because I can no longer afford to! The interest rates are killing me, and if that keeps up, say goodbye to this awesome hand-to-mouth existence that I currently am reveling in. Number two, I don't really go to movies. No big deal, no big temptation. Third, they spelled my name wrong, bunch of morons.

No comments: