Friday, July 24, 2009

Sober thoughts

It's a Friday night and I find myself at the gas station playing Scrabble online. Usually I'd be rushing to get back to Manila to grab a couple (and more) of beers to celebrate the weekend. This isn't the case tonight, though. And it would seem like the start of a regular Friday pattern.

Since I stopped drinking, I've been finding more time doing things on weekends. Back when I used to drink (It may sound ancient, but it was only last month) half of the day used to be spent nursing a hangover. And then I'd be so lazy to be of any use around the house. My new-found sobriety has given me plenty of time now, in fact a lot more than I expected that I haven't been able to utilize the day as much as I probably could. Hence me playing Scrabble tonight.

Another side effect of being sober is that I have been able to save up a little more than I used to (if any at all). Beer costs money, so does bar chow. And beer goggles have made me oblivious of this fact until the next day. This craving for beer, though has been replaced by a strong urge for coffee or tea, but drinking a cup of coffee for an hour pales in comparison to consuming two or three bottles of beer in the same amount of time. Good deal if you ask me.

So how long do I keep this up? Well, I'm quite realistic that zero alcohol won't really last a lifetime. There are some instances when I have to drink... such as when treating out a client or having that glass of wine with the best steak dinner. There's just no easy way to get around it. I'm hoping that when this time comes, I'd be able to practice more restraint and not go back to being a drunkard. Oh well, we will just have to see...

No comments: