Thursday, July 16, 2009

Reference for a Rainy Thursday

Have you ever been made a reference by someone looking for a job before? This morning while driving to a client for a meeting, someone called me up asking about someone I worked with in the past. This is the first time I've been put down as a reference. Felt somewhat awkward, should I bash the person or give them praises?

I'm not a mean guy, of course I gave the person high regards, definitely more than was deserved. But then again, I couldn't find any way this would come back to me so it was easier to lie. Hopefully this won't be a regular thing or I would need to cross check references myself.

*****

I got to the meeting on time, actually 10 minutes early despite the typhoon. I got there, changed into uncomfortable sneakers and waited. Then waited some more. After replaying a whole episode of "House, M.D." in my head, I decided to call it quits. I went to the receptionist and informed them that I had another urgent meeting to get to and will have to reschedule the appointment. (I lied, there was no other meeting except for a quick bite and coffee) She acknowledged, made a note and gave me back my shoes.

I drove out of that office and just as I parked at the mini-mall 5 kilometers away, my client called to inform me that she had just arrived and is available, could I come back to her office? Of course I said no, there's personal dignity and pride to look after, not to mention a growling stomach and free Wi-Fi. So I promptly told her that we'd have to reschedule and that my "assistant" (no I don't have one, but it does make me sound so important, wouldn't you say?) would contact her to catch the details. Then I paid for my burger.

*****

It's been raining all day today and everyone at the office is guessing how heavy the traffic in Manila is today. Why do they seem so scared and uncomfortable? Whereas I will be driving through all the traffic, they would be seated comfortably in their seats and watching things move ever so slowly through tinted windows of the shuttle service. They moan, they groan, they tear their hair out and gouge their eyes from its sockets. It gets kinda irritating after the first 5 people who ask you how heavy the traffic is. Then 20 more ask, assuming perhaps that I have a traffic monitor built into my system.

*****

Everywhere I look, everyone seems to be afflicted with Harry Potter hysteria. Makes me feel a little ashamed that I haven't a clue what it is all about. To begin with, I haven't read any of the books. I have watched 2 of the previous movies but this was on HBO, and there was nothing else on. I guess I'm just not into fantasy, I'm afraid.

Speaking of books, I've found myself stumped on the current book I've been reading. It's an autobiography on Malcolm X. It's a good read, but lately I've been too tired to read it before bedtime. An effect that I'm blaming on too much caffeine. This week, I've averaged around 5 cups of coffee (black) in a day. That's one when I get up in the morning, another around 10am, coffee break at 4pm then the rest when I get home or stop at the coffee shop for a proper brew. (all the ones prior are the instant variety) I suspect that overdosing my body with caffeine generally burns it out at the end of the day, thus not giving me enough energy to catch a few pages. Must find some time to finish the darn thing!

*****

And speaking of time... some new found friends of mine are going surfing this weekend and have asked me to tag along. They know I don't surf but also know I don't mind. Apparently, the person who introduced me to all these people isn't coming so I'm practically going with people that I don't know that well. In a past life, I wouldn't even consider going, but the prospect of getting some time off and being left alone is quite attractive for my reading and writing backlog.

Well, I haven't really said yes just yet, but am seriously considering it. I've nothing planned for the weekend except for the dinner that Tatcee will owe me (yes dear, 2 more days!) and that's on Sunday, just when the group plans to come back. The only hindrance that comes to mind is the cost. I estimate that I would need to spend around Php1,000 for the trip including meals, not that big an amount but am closely monitoring my spending no thanks to my credit card bills. I've got until tomorrow to decide, hopefully I'll know by then.

*****

Oh, and by the way, the person who put me down as reference is the recent ex.

No comments: