Thursday, September 24, 2009

Flying with Malcolm

Apart from the hassles of having to wake up ridiculously early, another downside of taking the first flight of the day to anywhere is that everyone seems to arrive pretty early at the airport, and thus a mob usually waits for you once you enter the gates. To solve this, I've resorted to certain means to avoid all these.

First thing I do is... well, I don't sleep. Not to say that I forego sleep, I just sleep as much as I can in the afternoon so that I don't have to sleep at all during the night. This allows me to get to the airport even earlier than most of the usual early birds and avoid the mob. So now, I'm at the airport when my flight is more than a couple of hours away and whiling my time engrossed in writing this post until my laptop's batteries go out. Then I take out the book I am currently reading and wait for boarding time.

I know, there are laptop stations scattered throughout the airport (at least in the Centennial terminal anyway), but I prefer to smoke while writing and thus confine myself to the smoking area with a hot cup of joe to keep me company.

*****

Speaking of books, I have a book that I've specially designated for flights... the autobiography of Malcolm X. I started the book maybe two years ago and read it almost exclusively at airports and during the flight itself. Now, two years after, I'm only halfway through the darn book and have had to go back some chapters because I keep forgetting what the heck happened.

The frequency of my flights have been quite regular... I'm supposed to be at our Cebu office once a month (though depending on the circumstances, I stretch that to once every two months out of laziness) and thus get to read the book only during these times. At the rate I'm going, I should finish the book by late next year... hopefully Malcolm X doesn't get resurrected anytime soon so that I'm more or less up to date on what's he been up to.

*****

I've been reading up on my blog... seems that so far, I've been kinda faithful to my promise of writing mostly about nothing. Well, at least no thread of topics in particular. I'm beginning to wonder if I should at least create a blog with a theme... maybe a travel blog... or one full of my stupid short stories. Contrary to what others may think, writing about nothing is quite a challenge. One has to at least spend hours each day daydreaming up new topics to write about. This practice of mine of daydreaming during office hours has been somewhat taxing on some paperwork. Then again, I doubt if not having this blog would affect my scheduled daydreaming at the office.

Maybe it would help if I had a hobby... like collecting stamps, coins or fountain pens. Then at least I could write all about some major stash I've found and post pictures of each of them. Up to this point, I don't recall having posted any pictures here in this blog. One reason is that I don't know how to... another is the snail's pace that uploading pictures online, and being such an impatient boob when it comes to this, I end up canceling my uploads about 30 seconds into the task.

*****

Well, it's 5 minutes to boarding time... guess I better pack up and get ready to move... now for Malcolm X...

No comments: