Friday, September 18, 2009

My Eleven Random Facts

I'm making a list... something random... lemme see...

1. I gave away my guitar to someone who will actually use it.

I got a guitar as a birthday gift some years back. I do know the basics, that much I taught myself back when Cobain, Vedder and the gang were at their peak. I use it maybe an hour every two months, a minute further and my fingers gave way to arthritis. Then a friend of mine broke his ankle, and being stuck at home for 2 months with only his organ to play with, decided to donate it to him. With a lot more time and willing effort on their hands, I don't plan to get it back. (The business with his organ being a part of it as well, I guess.)

2. I spend more time at the gas station than sleeping at home.

Started as a protest on my part against the SLEX traffic, then a necessity for my now defunct career as a professional blogger, now it's getting to be the reason I come to the office... so that I could hang out here after.

3. I've retired my blanket.

Decades of use has made my favorite blanket the translucent piece of canvass it is today. Starting out as some flour bags sewn together, it has served me well for comfort, security and friendship. Now in an effort to preserve what's left of it, I have folded it neatly and stashed it together with my other treasures. Thanks for a lifetime of service, old buddy.

4. I love mustard.

Hotdogs, ham, chicken, shrimp, meatballs, fish tofu, luncheon meat, hard boiled eggs, siomai... I've dunked them all in mustard. Fiercely eccentric taste buds, I suppose.

5. I could eat hotdogs a whole month without complaining.

Besides being my favorite food after pizza and lumpia toge, they are probably the easiest to cook, too.

6. I have a huge respect for instant pancit canton and scrambled eggs.

When I moved out of my parent's house, I earned barely enough to make the rent. This was the only food I could afford and they kept me from starving to death the first 4 months.

7. I read the newspaper from the back to the front page.

The sport's page is usually the back cover, then I make my way to the headlines. Obviously PBA games started me on this habit which I still practice today.

8. I twirl my fork counter-clockwise.

I first noticed this when my college classmates saw me twirling spaghetti at Jolibee, Philcoa and were curious as to why I did that. I never realized that there was a conventional and unconventional direction for fork twirling until then, all 6 of them twirled clockwise.

9. I drove a car with no sidemirrors for 2 years.

In protest against the slew of side mirror thefts plaguing the metro in the early part of this decade, I resolved never to buy side mirrors from the usual "surplus" outlets at Banawe and Evangelista streets. And I would probably had gone on for a couple or more years had Leo finally had enough and bought a pair for me on my birthday. Having basically learned how to drive alone, I developed a special affinity with the rear view mirror which I use more often than the side mirrors while driving.

10. I hate Chemistry

Despite working in a chemical laboratory, surrounded by chemists and metallurgists and with the periodic table of elements on every wall, Chemistry has always been my most hated subject. I barely passed high school chemistry, had to remove Chemistry 16 in college (cheating on the removals, at that) and can't even begin to solve basic stoichiometry. (Am not even sure I spelled it correctly, the red underline appears).

11. I've watched "The Little Mermaid" more than any other movie/cartoon in history.

I can even sing all the songs! Hahaha... side effects of having 2 younger sisters who watch it everyday.

1 comment:

Walking on Water said...

at least you made somebody happy with your guitar. i smashed mine, after one frustrating patient encounter. locked myself in the men's bathroom and pounded my poor guitar into bits. that left me with nothing, not even an organ, to play with.=)