Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Uninvited

I might just have uninvited myself to a buddy’s wedding. Well, I’m not exactly sure though I was kinda rude, I guess. It started as a text message he sent me a few weeks ago. He says he was getting married to his fiancée January of next year. And he’s inviting me to her birthday celebration at his house, so that I could get “measured up” as well. Problem was, only a mobile number registered on my phone, thus I didn’t know who the sender was. Maybe it was a mistake, someone mistook my number for someone else’s. Besides, the message was anonymous enough, how was I to know?

So anyway, I waited a day or two and replied the usual (and probably abrasive) “hus dis?”. No reply, go figure. That was that, I thought and forgot all about it.

Last week, another high school buddy of mine sent me a message asking if I knew our friend’s number. This got me thinking about that anonymous message again, and asked him if he knew whether our friend was in fact getting married. Turns out he was. Oh crap.

So the anonymous message came from a barkada of mine back in high school. Seems he changed his mobile number, probably even sent me a message long ago of the change but ignored it (I was busy and having a hard time with my phone, yeah I’m sticking to that excuse if need be). Suddenly all the favors I demanded of him came back to haunt me.

He’s a doctor, I’m not sure if he’s still at the PGH but he studied and took up his residency there. Whenever any medical advice/favor was needed (ear infection, prescription meds, doctor’s certificate, nosebleed) I was quick to give him a call and sort of demanded that attention be paid to my ills. Just last month I even tried to place a call to his old number, hoping to get some information on OTC sleeping pills (or tranquilizers even… he is an anaesth??… yeah, that kind of doctor).

Well anyway, now I’m faced with the dilemma. Did I really un-invite myself to the wedding and birthday party? The party’s this Sunday at their QC home, our high school chums are going, should I? I do feel bad for the fiasco, maybe he thought nothing of it anyway and would still allow me to be at the party, at least? We do go way back, y’know.

Crap, should I come anyway? It might become awkward… or not. Heck, I’ll probably go anyway, just another case of me overanalyzing the situation. In any case, I’m pretty sure that there’s nothing that a few beers and a super neat birthday gift for the bride-to-be won’t fix. So Bernard, if ever you’ve even heard of this blog of mine… thanks for the invite and I’d be honored to be at your wedding.

No comments: