Thursday, June 25, 2009

I Pity the Fools!

May called up this morning out of the blue as I was driving to work, late as usual. The birthday extravaganza was scheduled on the weekend, plans for wii games, drinking and socializing. Apparently, that wasn't the only reason for the call, curiosity played a key role in her dialing me up.

A few days back, desperate for some perspective on a situation that I was tangled up in, I gave her a call hoping for a conversation over some drinks. She was unavailable then and so a raincheck was issued. I didn't want to give details so I left just clues on the topic. Living with a feline, I guess curiosity must have infected her and triggered a barrage of questioning which I had successfully parred with heckling and a disrupted cell phone signal.

Okay, so why did I think of contacting them (and them to mean including Jane who shares a pad with May)? Well, unlike some of my other friends, they are more or less insulated from certain occurrences and trivial matters pertaining to the situation at hand. This provides me with the convenience of a third party opinion that has yet to be influenced by gray matters. Though of course I have to take into consideration some bias that may result from them hearing only my side of the story (stories?), if only for the purposes of hearing from an outsider (to some extent) they offer the perfect set of ears and invaluable opinion.

*****

Hmm, maybe I should tell the story of how I met these two "victims". May and Jane are holdovers from the "recent-ex-era". Jane was a friend from goose school while May is her best friend since their college days at the nest of oxygen-deprived eagles. They share an apartment where Dyan used to stay as well. Fortunately, they were alcoholics just like me and thus I enjoyed mooching beer and liquor off them.

Thankfully, my parasitism survived the break-up and I continue my shameless dependence on their alcoholic generosity. Now, I use them for more than just alcohol, including invading May's Baguio apartment for free accommodations and forcing Jane to illegally download disney animated classics for my entertainment. (Hmm, must remind myself to force Jane into burning them for me on dvd)

You may wonder why I am pretty open about this when they might chance upon this particular post of mine. Two things: 1. They moved to a different pad, thus they still don't have an internet connection, severely limiting their virtual range. 2. I don't think they actually read this blog anyways, undoubtedly due to the boredom that it brings as well as its propensity to induce severe vomiting and alcoholism all at the same time.

Well, it's now Thursday and the extravaganza is scheduled for Saturday. Though I doubt that we'd have a chance to get to the serious stuff, it's another great opportunity to mooch off unsuspecting friends.

No comments: