Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Wag the Dog

Sometimes things just turn out your way, and when that happens, expect a lot more disturbing surprises up ahead. Take work, for example, the more you get involved in your work the more the boss notices that you haven't been doing enough. Such irony considering that when you do not put in the effort, things seem to go your way and work out just fine. I suspect it's because you're suddenly thrust in the spotlight that the expectations become greater, rather than being behind the scenes and just showing up at the office merits a pat on the back.

*****

It's officially day 3 and I'm fine. As resolutions go, this one's becoming a piece of cake. Yes, it's a secret and I'm committed to not telling anyone lest the pressure should set in and ruin everything for me. I'm aiming for 100, that should take me well into the 'ber' months. I'm keeping my fingers crossed just in case.

*****

A few weeks ago, I bought a pillow. It's one of the new additions to my home. I didn't really need it but I just wanted a fluffier, softer support for my nighttime reading purposes. Now here's the thing about getting what seemingly is an innocent item, it proposes a lot more that you find yourself not content with the set-up that you originally have.

Having had the luxury of this fine pillow, I now want more. One of the items that I want is a new bed. The cheap metal frame that I got two years ago is no longer enough, and I want one of those heavy, bulky beds. Of course with the bed follows the mattress. A plump 10-inch soft mattress would suffice I guess, and sheets of Egyptian cotton too. But why stop there? Of course I have to match my wall to the general feel of the new bed, a bit of orange to the wall and a bright red ceiling, perhaps? Not to mention new drapes for my window. I've also been looking at carpet tiles for the floor, they're a bit pricey but not having to wake up to the cold, hard tiles is probably worth it. How about a new lamp? And a side-table for that matter. A divan for the bed-end, and a poster of sheep charging through green fields.

When does it end?!

*****

My boss got me today. Knowing my moratorium on carbs, she brought a jar full of chocolate truffles. I was strong, the delectable delights were successfully avoided. What bothers me is that she gave everyone on the floor a piece, then offered me the last 4 pieces. I waved them off, then she let a smirk onto her face and put the jar on her table in my full view.

A few weeks ago, she tried this little stunt with pizza. Unfortunately for her, pizza (along with beer and halo-halo) were exempted from the moratorium. I chowed down on 3 slices with minimal effort and she was left aghast at how quickly the crumbs fell on her table.

Her small victory gives me the creeps, eventually I know I'll give in. It's a matter of procuring the right kryptonite. Better lace up those running shoes, just in case I've to add another exemption to the list.

*****

It's the sister's birthday in a few days. Normally no one in our family gives a crap about it. We're not the sweet and caring family model that seem to be the norm. Yet this year, I'm thinking of giving her a gift. Nothing fancy (and certainly nothing expensive!) but I just thought with all the DVDs, books, magazines and other things that I stole from her all these years, it's probably time I gave something back.

Okay, here's what I'm thinking: Either a cheap utility bag for all her beach stuff, a book (second hand, of course), a french press (which I will eventually "borrow") or a bottle of dishwashing detergent (well, I have a dozen at home, need to dispose of them sometime).

My only fear is that this will usher in a new tradition of gift giving among the siblings, not something I'm totally comfortable with as we keep forgetting each other's birthdays, anyway. This is actually one big reason that I'm still undecided on a gift other than detergent. Oh well, I'll let you know in two weeks. Until then, detergent has my vote!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

anong klaseng kapatid to? Buti na lang hindi kita kapatid. Ewan, effort pag dating sa ibang tao pero sa sariling kapatid SABON? ahahahah!

Chipper said...

hoy... importante sa buhay ang sabon. marami siyang silbi at araw-araw gagamitin. Sige nga, subukan mong kumain sa plato't kubyertos na di sinabon, aber! hahaha!