Wednesday, April 15, 2009

All the running around

Fortunately, I ran behind Jundel during our jog a few hours ago. Had I jogged in front of him, maybe we would have stopped sooner at the 2km mark. Since he was in front, I just trailed along and was able to complete 3km tonight. Not bad considering that I just had a double shot of whiskey half an hour before. Problem is that I had set my goal at the 2km mark though I know I could do more than that (Yes, I can. Promise…)

Of late, I have been finding myself with an urge to jog. Last Easter Sunday I also jogged at UP. Though I should be preparing for the TNF run on May, I am not really the competitive type and should already be happy with being able to keep a respectable pace and not run the risk of quitting midway. I guess it is true that breaking a sweat for leisure is easy to get hooked on.

However, there is one ill effect that all this running around has brought me and that is finding an excuse to smoke more than I would have wanted. This past month alone, I have been finding myself visiting the neighborhood sari-sari store twice a day for a pack of Winston Lights. I have (wrongly?) justified all this physical exercise as a way to make up for this vile habit and am starting to lose control. The fact that I realize all this and yet do not make any attempt to limit myself is quite disturbing. I have promised myself to google if exercise does negate the obvious ill effects of smoking, but have not come around to doing it just yet. (Slow internet connection and all) After all, jogging is a great way to relieve some stress that I have been encountering at work lately and thinking of what I would be doing with all the hours I spend running would definitely involve a stick or two.

Remember that target of mine to shed off those pounds by this month? Well half of the month has passed and I am way below my target. Maybe I should run more, or eat a whole lot less. (I haven’t been eating carbs lately but that doesn’t seem to go anywhere anymore) Maybe I should have bought that work out contraption rather than the LaZboy. Maybe I should push myself to inquire about the rates and schedules of the gym around the corner. Well, whatever I do, I’m pretty sure that I have to be doing it soon if I want to reach that target. Sigh…

No comments: