Monday, April 27, 2009

Thoughts on the MBA

Last week, after paying a client of mine a visit I decided to inquire about the MBA program that Ateneo had at their Laguna office. I was all interested until they got to the bottom line, how much it would cost. I don’t think I can afford it. So I smiled and said I’d think about it and spent an hour or so on the road doing so.

The pros and cons were simple enough:

PROS:
1. Have enough time on my hands now that I’m not doing much outside of work
2. Learn a lot of things about how to run a business properly (as an employee
as well as a proprietor)
3. It’s only once a week, pretty convenient for myself
4. It’s a 15 minute drive from the office
5. Great way to network
6. Added self esteem with that MBA beside my name
7. Career advancement opportunities

CONS:
1. No money for tuition

As far as I can tell, the PROS far outweigh the CONS in this instance. So why am I still thinking about it?

Money, of course is scarce nowadays. True I could probably wing it with some well placed loans and prioritization of expenses but that would entail making lifestyle changes which I am not comfortable with at the moment. Asking the company for money isn’t really my thing (stupid pride and all) and I fear that this would only plunge me deeper in debt in the short term.

Besides money, I am doubtful if I can round up all the requirements in time for the June enrollment period. My former college has been giving me trouble in securing my transcripts just because they claim I haven’t paid up the graduation dinner dues which I did not attend anyway. Since five years ago, I hadn’t attempted applying for it again and have no clue if they would still hold me accountable for such a minute detail.

A big part of this interest of mine in an MBA stems from Nolan and Trisha’s own applications to the UP MBA program where they both qualified. I would have preferred taking it up at the old alma mater but it is just too far away from where I work. Also, a lot of my other friends have also taken up this course and they attest that they have picked up a lot of practical information and training from it, ergo it would be greatly beneficial for me as well.

Frankly speaking, I never considered going back to school after spending the better part of a decade earning a degree. But the stupidity of people have somewhat forced me to reconsider lest I fall under the same trap as they have. Hopefully it all works out well, me having the means to put up my own tuition and finally getting all the requirements that I need to apply and qualify. Right now I am doing my best to straighten out my finances and condition myself to devoting time and effort to making an MBA a part of my CV. On the other hand, all this thinking about it is giving me a headache… sure hope that the Ateneo MBA program is well worth it.

No comments: