Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Christmas in April

Yep weird title, I know. I actually thought of the title before I wrote this. Usually it's the other way around but while driving that beat up old nissan this afternoon, I suddenly had "Chestnuts, roasting on an open fire..." stuck in my head. I was humming to the tune when the realization that Christmas is far away suddenly stopped me.

Maybe it has to do with the planned new year outing in Palawan which I hadn't signed up for. (yet?) The smell of pine trees on the bus I rode this morning, or just the sight of raindrops as they slowly descended from the incandescent street lights overhead, bringing snowflakes to mind. Whatever it is, Christmas just doesn't have a reason to come popping into my mind all of a sudden. Was hanging out with Bless at High Street this afternoon and ended up talking about our 13th month pay. It was probably that which made my mind wander off 8 months ahead.

One thing that I am doing this time of the year is giving everything a "Bah humbug!", pretty Scrooge-like. Been trying to save some money to pay off some debts that I mysteriously accrued over the years which is why the usual Champ meal has been downgraded to the Yum with TLC, and the 3-piece wing sale to the large hotwings. Pathetic isn't it? After years of toiling, I'm finding myself creeping back closer to the days when all I ate were instant noodles and eggs. I could already imagine my version of Christmas dinner, eggs cooked 3 ways and instant noodles with carrots and beans.

So what will I be doing this Christmas? I've already told myself that the old tree has to go, taking it to my parents soon. Of course, going with it are the brightly colored lights, decors and that stupid snowman jingling his bell. One thing that I am contemplating is taking a long road trip, alone looks like it as everyone is booked to a flight to Palawan. Then again I could just as easily stay at home and watch reruns and series that I haven't watched yet.

What is sure is that I need to end this post, put Christmas in its rightful time and try to enjoy the months in between summer break and holiday break.

No comments: